Fairbanks Arts invites artists (18+) residing in Interior Alaska to enter original artworks for consideration in the 37th Annual 64th Parallel Juried Exhibition! Artists are welcome to submit up to four (4) artworks. Fairbanks Arts holds annual juried exhibitions to showcase new work by Interior Alaskan artists and contracts with artists, university faculty, curators, and museum professionals (statewide and nationwide) to assure the broadest spectrum of critical appraisal for our exhibitions. The juror will consider the technical and creative merit of the artwork.
Fairbanks Arts is pleased to announce that this year’s juror is Roberto Benavidez! Learn more about our guest juror and how to register for 64th Parallel below.
Juror’s Choice/ $200
Second Place/ $150
Third Place/ $100
Jared Baker “Gutsy Art Award”/ $75
ENTRY FEE: $5 per piece. Limited to 4 entries. Current Fairbanks Arts members receive a fee waiver on the third entry only. Make checks payable to Fairbanks Arts Association.
- Artists must be at least 18 years old to enter.
- Artists are limited to four entries.
- Only artists residing in the Interior of Alaska, Doyon Region, are eligible to enter works.
- Artwork is open to the following categories: painting, drawing, ceramics, print, sculpture, mixed media, photography, glass, jewelry, and fiber. If you have a question about if your work is suitable for entry, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Original and/or prints of artwork created by the artist only. Work must reflect the artist’s unique creative effort.
- No kits. No copies or exact replicas of other artists’ original artwork or published artwork. No copies of any published images or copyrighted characters (e.g. Disney).
- Work must have been completed within the last two years and not previously exhibited in the Bear Gallery.
Deliver entries to the BEAR GALLERY, 3rd floor Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts, Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Way.
|Sept. 6-Oct.1||Through Oct. 1 at 4 p.m.||Online registration of artworks. Artwork registered online on Oct. 1 must be delivered to the Bear Gallery by 4 p.m.|
|Sunday, Oct. 1||11 a.m.–4 p.m.||Artwork intake and in-person registration|
|Monday, Oct. 2||All Day||Jury of Artwork|
|Monday, Oct. 2||7 p.m.||Juror’s Talk in the Blue Room, 3rd floor of the Centennial Center|
|Tuesday, Oct. 3||12 p.m.||Emails sent notifying selected and not selected artwork|
|Tuesday, Oct. 3 &Wednesday, Oct. 4||12–6 p.m.||Pick up for entries not selected|
|Friday, Oct. 6||12–7 p.m.||First Friday Opening Day, Reception from 5–7 p.m.|
|Oct. 6–28||12–6 p.m., Mon.–Sat.||Gallery Open Hours|
|Sunday, Oct. 29||11 a.m.–4 p.m.||Pick up for exhibit entries|
JUROR: Roberto Benavidez
(b. 1973, Beeville, TX) Roberto lives and works in the Los Angeles, CA neighborhood of El Sereno. His sculptures have been featured in national, international, and on-line publications, including ARTnews, Artsy, Atlas Obscura, The Guardian, hifructose.com, Hyperallergic, LUXE Interiors + Design, Politiken, The New York Times, and This Is Colossal. Benavidez has shown in group and solo exhibitions, including at the AD&A Museum at UCSB, Craft In America, Mesa Contemporary Art Museum, Mingei International Museum, Palo Alto Art Center, Riverside Art Museum, and Self Help Graphics. Currently, he has worked in group exhibitions at The Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, MA, and The Torggler Fine Arts Center in Newport News, VA (July 2023). LA Metro commissioned him to contribute to the “Through the Eyes of Artists” poster series (2019); his Bosch fruit fascinators are featured in the finale of The Interview with the Vampire series on AMC+; and his work is featured in the current issue of Four Seasons Magazine. He has work in the collection of LA Metro and The Museum of International Folk Art.
The registration period is now OPEN for 64th Parallel!
How to Participate in the Juried Show:
- Register your artwork by completing the online registration form (link below) or by completing the registration form in person during artwork intake. For convenience, the online registration form will remain open through the end of our in-person artwork intake/registration day of Sunday, October 1st, 2023 at 4p.m. (Artwork registered online on Oct. 1 must be delivered to the Bear Gallery by 4 p.m.)
- Deliver your artwork to the Bear Gallery on Sunday, October 1, anytime between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you need to make alternative arrangements, please call Fairbanks Arts at 907-251-8386 ext. 3.
- Check your inbox! The blind jury will take place on Monday, October 2, with Roberto Benavidez. Roberto will select artworks for the exhibition; He will be able to see the titles of the artworks but not the artist’s names. Fairbanks Arts will send emails notifying artists if their artwork was selected for the exhibition by Tuesday, October 3rd, at noon.
- If your artwork was not selected, you’ll be asked to come to the gallery and pick it up either Tuesday or Wednesday, October 3rd or 4th, between noon and 6 p.m.
- If your artwork was selected for the exhibition, it will be on view in the gallery for the month.
For assistance with online registration or questions about the exhibition, contact Fairbanks Arts Visual Arts Coordinator, Olivia Mandell at 907-251-8386, ext. 3, email email@example.com, or visit our office in the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts (2300 Airport Way, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701).