Fairbanks Arts invites artists (18+) residing in Interior Alaska, Doyon Region to respond to the concept of FOOD for our Spring Juried Exhibition on view in the Bear Gallery April 2023. The 6th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition concept was chosen by a public vote conducted earlier this year and we expect it to be finger-licking good.
Online artwork registration deadline is Friday, March 31 at 12 p.m.
According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary, definitions of food include:
- material consisting essentially of protein, carbohydrate, and fat used in the body of an organism to sustain growth, repair, and vital processes and to furnish energy
- nutriment in solid form
- something that nourishes, sustains, or supplies
The exhibition will take place April 7–29, 2023 in the Bear Gallery.
Artists are welcome to submit up to four (4) artworks for the exhibition.
Artwork is open to the following categories: painting, drawing, ceramics, print, sculpture, mixed-media, photography, glass, jewelry, and fiber. If you have a question about if your work is suitable for entry, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work must have been completed within the last two years and not previously exhibited in the Bear Gallery.
ENTRY FEE: $5 per piece. Limited to 4 entries. Current Fairbanks Arts members receive a fee waiver on the third entry only. Make checks payable to Fairbanks Arts Association.
The juror will consider the technical and creative merit of the artwork for the following awards:
Juror’s Choice: $200 | Second Place: $150 | Third Place: $100 | Honorable Mentions
Awardees will be announced at 6 p.m. in the Bear Gallery on Friday, April 7, 2023, during the First Friday opening reception.
Juror: Alanna DeRocchi
Alanna is originally from Petersburg, Illinois. She received a BFA from Western Illinois University in 2004, and an MFA from the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University in 2010. Since finishing her education, she has participated in several ceramic artist residency programs, including the Clay Arch Gimhae Museum Ceramic Arts Residency in Jilllye, South Korea, and the Archie Bray Foundation for the Ceramic Arts in Helena, MT. She was a 2017 Rasmuson Individual Artist Award recipient, a 2022 Rasmuson Fellowship Recipient, and a 2019 and 2022 Alaska State Council on the Arts Career Opportunity Grant awardee. Her work is inspired by Alaska’s unique wildlife and environment. Alanna is currently a Term Assistant Professor of Ceramics and Studio Technician at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
Join Fairbanks Arts for an artist talk with guest juror Alanna DeRocchi on Monday, April 3 at 7 p.m. in the Blue Room on the third floor of the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts.
Deliver entries to the BEAR GALLERY, 3rd floor Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts, Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Way.
|Friday, March 31||12 p.m.||DEADLINE to complete online registration|
|Sunday, April 2||10 a.m. –3 p.m.||Artwork Intake|
|Monday, April 3||All Day||Jury of Artwork|
|Monday, April 3||7 p.m.||Juror’s Talk in the Bear Gallery|
|Tuesday, April 4||12 p.m.||Emails sent notifying selected and not selected artwork|
|Tuesday, April 4 &Wednesday, April 5||12–6 p.m.||Pick up for entries not selected|
|Friday, April 7||12–7 p.m.||First Friday Opening Day|
|April 7–29||12–6 p.m., Mon.–Sat.||Gallery Open Hours|
|Sunday, April 30||10 a.m. –3 p.m.||Pick up for exhibit entries|
- Artists must be at least 18 years old to enter.
- Artists are limited to four entries.
- Only artists residing in the Interior of Alaska, Doyon Region are eligible to enter works.
- Artwork is open to the following categories: painting, drawing, ceramics, print, sculpture, mixed-media, photography, glass, jewelry, and fiber. If you have a question about if your work is suitable for entry, contact email@example.com.
- Original and/or prints of artwork created by the artist only. Work must reflect the artist’s unique creative effort.
- No kits. No copies or exact replicas of other artists’ original artwork or published artwork. No copies of any published images or copyrighted characters (e.g. Disney).
- Work must have been completed within the last two years and not previously exhibited in the Bear Gallery.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Selected entries remain on view through 6 p.m., Saturday, April 29, 2023.
- Artworks must be made of materials that will not deteriorate or emit odors in the gallery space.
- Entries will be handled with the greatest possible care and are insured against damage or loss for the duration of the exhibit. Fairbanks Arts is not responsible for minor wear resulting from normal handling.
- Artwork should be photographed or digitally copied before being entered. If artwork sells before getting photographed or copied, Fairbanks Arts will no longer release the work to the artist, it will go to the buyer.
- Fairbanks Arts Association retains a 35% commission on all exhibit sales. Works will be for sale unless noted as NFS (Not for Sale). Artists’ payments will be made within 30 days of the exhibit’s closure.
- Submitting an entry constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to all conditions in this prospectus.
- Works will be considered Fairbanks Arts property if left in the care of Fairbanks Arts for more than 45 days after the determined pickup day, Sunday, April 30, 2023. During this period, three attempts will be made to contact the artist (phone and email); if no communication is established during these attempts, the artwork is automatically considered abandoned and becomes Fairbanks Arts property without further notice.
- The Bear Gallery is located in the Centennial Center of the Arts, a Fairbanks North Star Borough facility within Pioneer Park. This is a family-friendly facility that receives visitors of all ages from all over the world. As such, Fairbanks Arts Association retains the right to refuse the exhibition of artworks containing violence, inappropriate language, political, or religious motifs that are ill-suited for the borough facility. Artworks with discriminatory content will not be exhibited. If exhibitions contain nudity or profanity, a sign will be posted by the Gallery entrance alerting visitors of such instances. If you have questions or concerns about the content of your show being suitable for the Bear Gallery, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries must be professionally presented and ready for display. Works to be hung on the wall must have a secure wire hanger. NO SAWTOOTH hangers will be permitted.
- Unusual hanging mechanisms must be approved by Fairbanks Arts, call 251-8386 ext. 3.
- Quilts must have 2 inches of velcro stitched along the entire top. NO VELCRO, NO ACCEPTANCE.
- Submissions that are polyptych need to be priced as one piece.
You must be logged in to post a comment.