Fairbanks Arts suggests reading the 2016-17 FACE Handbook to become familiar with the Artists in Schools (AIS) program to see if it is the right fit for you. In order to become an eligible artist for the AIS program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Artist must complete a Teaching Artist Training. These sessions are currently offered once a year. Please know that you must attend all sessions in the Training in order to receive certification.
- Artist must submit all necessary application materials by the deadline: Friday,
September 15, 2017 at 5 PM. AIS application-materials list for 2017-18.
- Artist must schedule interview with the FAA Education Coordinator.
2017 Teaching Artists Training
For Artists In Schools Program
Saturday, September 9, 10am-3:30pm
Sunday, September 10, 10am-3:30pm
Location: Bear Gallery (3rd Floor, Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts),
Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK 99701
What is the Teaching Artists Training?
- Professional development for area artists to qualify for Alaska State Teaching Artist status. This will be a lively and informative series of hands-on presentations by expert teachers and administrators who will share knowledge, skills, and techniques. A certificate will be awarded on completion of the course to equip you to work effectively in Fairbanks classrooms and beyond.
- Advice on how to negotiate contracts, market yourself as a teaching artist, and how to join the Alaska State Teaching Artist Roster (AK STAR) of the Alaska State Council on the Arts.
- Dialogue and community building among local artists and educators about teaching in and through the arts. Discussion topics will include: Application process, importance of residencies, Alaska State standards, FNSBSD Arts, developmental levels, differentiated learning, classroom management strategies, collaboration for successful residencies, and the business of being a teaching artist.
Lunch will be provided at both sessions.
Contact: email@example.com or 456-6485 x 222
Cost: $50. You can pay by credit card online below or pay in person by check (please make check out to Fairbanks Arts Association), cash, or credit card.
Please submit the registration form below in advance, even if you decide to pay the registration fee in person.
Participants must attend the entire Teaching Artists Training to receive the completion certificate and become eligible for participation in the Artists in Schools program.