Fairbanks Arts Association’s
24th Annual Statewide Poetry Contest
Judge: Vivian Faith Prescott
Submissions begin December 1st!
ENTRY DEADLINE: Friday, February 15th • 11:59pm
Fairbanks Arts is excited to announce the 24th Statewide Poetry Contest and invites participation from authors of all ages elementary school and up. As a celebration of National Poetry Writing, this contest aims to encourage, publicize and reward the writing of high quality poetry in Alaska.
This year’s judge is Vivian Faith Prescott, author of a full-length poetry collection, The Hide of My Tongue, four poetry chapbooks, Slick, Sludge, Traveling with the Underground People, Our Tents Are Small Volcanoes, and a short story collection, The Dead Go to Seattle. Vivian is a recipient of the Alaska Literary Award (2017), a Rasmuson Fellowship (2015), and the Jason Wenger Award for Literary Excellence.
The winners of the contest will be announced in April and will record their poems for broadcast on KUAC’s radio station FM 89.9. They will also read their poems at a literary reading in the Bear Gallery.
- Open to Alaska residents only.
- No more than four poems per author may be entered.
- All poems must be original and not previously published.
- Must be typed or formatted to an 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper and may not exceed 100 lines in length.
- Include the title on the first line of the document. Author’s name should not appear on any poems.
- File name for poems should include the poem title and division (adult, high school, middle school, elementary school) and should be saved in PDF form (i.e. poemtitle_division.pdf)
Adult 1st Place $150 | 2nd Place $100| 3rd Place $50
High School 1st Place $100 | 2nd Place $50 | 3rd Place $25
Middle School 1st Place $50 | 2nd Place $30 | 3rd Place $15
Elementary School 1st Place $50 | 2nd Place $30 | 3rd Place $15
Entries & payments should be made online through submittable.com
Elementary, Middle, and High School: $3/poem or $10 for four poems.
Class Entries (for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org): $1 per poem.
Adults: $4/ poem or $13 for four poems.
For questions, call 907.456.6485 ext. 224 or email email@example.com
Stay up to date on other Fairbanks Arts literary offerings and opportunities as well as updates regarding the 2019 statewide poetry contest by signing up for our monthly e-newsletter.