Fairbanks Arts Association is seeking a Communications & Outreach Coordinator (C.O.C.) to join our team. The position pays $18/hr and is full-time requiring 35-40 hours per week and reports to the Executive Director. The C.O.C. works some evenings and weekends. All scheduling is to be approved by Fairbanks Arts’ Associate Director.
The C.O.C. works in cooperation with Fairbanks Arts’ staff and is responsible for creating quality content that engages audiences in order to deepen program participation and make the general public aware of Fairbanks Arts’ programs and activities. The C.O.C. is responsible for planning and implementing promotional strategies for programs, which includes creating content and designing promotional materials for media and target audiences. This role is a liaison between the organization, the public, and the media to ensure that Fairbanks Arts’ mission and activities are actively communicated across multiple platforms.
Fairbanks Arts is a community-centered organization that works with and for populations throughout Interior Alaska. This position is an opportunity for someone to dive into the Fairbanks Arts community and is ideal for someone who enjoys interacting with the public, thinks critically, takes initiative, and values learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment.
This position will remain open until filled.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen well and positively represent the organization and its mission
- Excellent project management, organizational, and time management skills in order to manage multiple projects and stay on deadline
- High-level efficiency, recall, and attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Proficient using Google Drive products
- Demonstrated ability with social media marketing and promotional strategies with an understanding of current trends
- Strong aesthetic sense with knowledge of layout and design for print and web-based promotional materials
- Ability to work with staff members, volunteers, and patrons with a high level of professionalism, diplomacy, and tact
- Must be comfortable working in a team environment and in a collaborative manner
- Experience working in a non-profit organization is preferred
- Must have excellent follow-through and persistence in corresponding with program participants, media contacts, and volunteers in order to fulfill the position’s role and responsibilities
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop strategies and schedules for the promotion of Fairbanks Arts programs, events, and activities including identifying target audiences and the most effective methods of reaching them (social media, direct mail, and email promotions)
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including press releases, website content, social media content, newsletters, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities and/or services.
- Create cohesive images for all print and online communications, including but not limited to: newsletter, brochures, fundraising materials, press kits, social media
- Maintain databases of community and press contacts and develop/strengthen relationships with local and regional contacts
- Maintain the Fairbanks Arts website (WordPress)
- Monitor and catalog all media coverage of Fairbanks Arts’ activities across print, broadcast, and social media outlets. Record analytics for assessment and development of future communications efforts.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and coordinate with the proper individuals within the organization to speak with the media.
- Coordinate and update external calendars with all Fairbanks Arts program details
- Provide weekly communications updates to Fairbanks Arts staff
- Maintain current community relationships as well as initiate new community relationships
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement annual recruitment and engagement plan
- Proactively network for new community contacts with the intention of building ongoing, long-term relationships
- Coordinate and provide staff support as necessary at job fairs and community events
- Evaluate volunteer and member recruitment efforts and make recommendations for improvement
- Invite, add, and join social media groups to establish and maintain digital relationships for outreach and recruitment
- Provide continuous follow-up to deepen engagement
- Assist with maintenance of community information database
- Help design and implement community outreach efforts/initiatives
About Fairbanks Arts Programs
The C.O.C. will work closely with all staff members and volunteers to implement various aspects of communications. The ability to engage with artists, staff members, volunteers, and the organization’s membership and supporters with accuracy and patience is of key importance.
Please send a cover letter detailing how you would contribute to the communications and outreach at Fairbanks Arts Association, a current resume, work samples demonstrating communications and design proficiency, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Facebook applications will be considered.
About Fairbanks Arts: We are located at 2300 Airport Rd. in the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts building in Pioneer Park. Fairbanks Arts Association is a dynamic organization that has served Interior Alaska through the arts since 1966 with quality visual, literary, performing, and arts education programs. Fairbanks Arts plays a central leadership role in the arts community, providing opportunities and resources for artists and organizations and believes in building a vibrant, healthy community through the arts.
Fairbanks Arts and its work takes place on the ancestral and unceded lands of the lower Tanana Dene Peoples. We acknowledge this with gratitude for the Indigenous communities who have held relationship with this land for generations. We acknowledge this as a point of reflection as we engage in work that seeks to create healthier communities in and through the arts.