Note: Literary readings are temporarily on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This page will be updated when Fairbanks Arts is again able to safely host readings.
The Literary Arts Committee of Fairbanks Arts Association invites authors from Alaska to submit for review work samples for possible readings in the Bear Gallery for the year 2020. There is a reading in the Bear Gallery on the first Saturday of every month and the committee is always looking for new writers. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis by the committee and readings will be scheduled based on merit.
This application is open to residents of Alaska ages 18 or older. An individual writer may have a reading in the Bear Gallery once every two years. Writers who have had a reading in the Bear Gallery prior to 2018 are eligible for consideration for 2020.
- Monthly on the first Saturday, from 7-8pm
- Readings are shared between two authors, each author should plan to read for about 20 minutes and have 5 minutes for questions/answer.
- Fairbanks Arts encourages authors to participate in a book signing during and after the reading.
- Volunteers will set up the event space with seating.
- If books are for sale, Fairbanks Arts will handle the sales of books. Authors may expect a check in the month following their reading. During book signings, books are sold on consignment with 80% of the sales going to the author. If there is no signing, books are sold on a 65% consignment.
- Authors are encouraged to offer finger food during their readings.
Members of the Fairbanks Arts Literary Art Committee will review applications. If your application is approved and you are selected for a reading, a member of the Fairbanks Arts staff will contact you with more details. Fairbanks Arts reserves the right to decline any application.
For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Fairbanks Arts programs are made possible by individual and corporate contributions, the City of Fairbanks Hotel/Motel Bed Tax, Fairbanks North Star Borough and Alaska State Council on the Arts.