Fairbanks Arts Association is seeking a Program & Communications Coordinator to join our team. The position pays $17/hr and is full-time requiring 35-40 hours per week and reports to the Associate Director. The Program & Communications Coordinator works some evenings and weekends, depending on program schedules. All scheduling to be approved by Fairbanks Arts Association’s Operations Manager.
The Program & Communications Coordinator works in cooperation with Fairbanks Arts staff and is focused on implementing quality programs, deepening program participation, and making the general public aware of Fairbanks Arts programs and activities. Planning and implementing promotional strategies for programs is a core responsibility of this position, which includes creating content and designing promotional materials for media and target audiences. This position is an opportunity for someone to dive into the Fairbanks Arts community and is ideal for someone who thinks critically, takes initiative, and enjoys learning and contributing in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management, organizational, and time management skills
- High-level efficiency, recall, and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize multiple work assignments, and meet deadlines with focus
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Proficient using Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite products
- Demonstrated ability with social media marketing and promotional strategies with understanding of current trends
- Strong aesthetic sense with knowledge of layout and design for print and web-based promotional materials
- Ability to work with staff members, volunteers, and patrons with a high level of professionalism, diplomacy, and tact
- Must be comfortable working in a team environment and in a collaborative manner
- Experience working in a non-profit arts organization is preferred
- Must have excellent follow-through and persistence in corresponding with program participants, media contacts, and volunteers
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Implement and facilitate programs while coordinating with appropriate staff on all aspects (volunteer needs, sales, etc.)
- Coordinate and maintain in-house programs schedule and update internal calendars with all Fairbanks Arts Association program details
- Maintain program files and complete reports/ evaluations
- Provide weekly program updates to FAA staff
- Develop strategies and schedules for the promotion of Fairbanks Arts programs, events, and activities including identifying target audiences and the most effective methods of reaching them
- Create cohesive image and messaging for all print and online communications, including but not limited to: newsletter, brochures, fundraising materials, press kits, social media
- Develop and strengthen relationships with local and regional press contacts
- Maintain the Fairbanks Arts website (WordPress), utilize social media to reach target audiences, distribute direct mail and email promotions
- Maintain databases of community and press contacts
- Monitor and catalog all media coverage of Fairbanks Arts Association activities across print, broadcast, and social media outlets
- Provide weekly communications updates to FAA staff
About Fairbanks Arts Programs
The Program & Communications Coordinator will work closely with all staff members and volunteers to implement various aspects of programs. The ability to delegate tasks to volunteers with accuracy and patience is of key importance. Volunteer assistance bolsters community involvement in the organization and is of great help to the Program & Communications Coordinator. Visual and literary programs are the most time intensive, while performing and cinema programs require significantly less time.
Visual Arts Programs
- Monthly exhibits in the Bear Gallery, including juried exhibits, traveling shows, an open entry show, and solo exhibits.
- Bear Gallery Gift Shop features monthly gift shop artist of the month, Watercolor corner artist
- Portfolio Review- Annual solo/group exhibit selection process.
- Other events, as assigned. FAA would like to remain open to visual arts programming opportunities that may come along and details will be discussed should they arise.
Literary Arts Programs
- Monthly readings in the Bear Gallery
- Statewide Poetry Contest- Annual event with Elementary, Middle School, High School and Adult divisions.
- Other events, as assigned. Fairbanks Arts would like to remain open to literary arts programming opportunities that may come along and details will be discussed should they arise.
Performing Arts Programs
- Gazebo Nights summer performance series nightly from June-August – local performers are featured from 7-8pm nightly.
- TIPS Program (Totally Impromptu Performance Series) is a busking program in the park.
- Other performance opportunities – Fairbanks Arts often collaborates with other groups or facilitates performances for performers passing through.
- Fairbanks Film Festival is on hiatus with plans to reintroduce the festival. Program Coordinator will assist in efforts associated with cinema programming.
Please send a cover letter detailing how you would contribute to the programs at Fairbanks Arts Association, a current resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com
About Fairbanks Arts: Fairbanks Arts Association is a dynamic organization that has served Interior Alaska through the arts since 1966 with quality visual, literary, performing and arts education programs. Fairbanks Arts plays a central leadership role in the arts community, providing opportunities and resources for artists and organizations and believes in building a vibrant, healthy community through the arts.