Juror: Jenny Day
Online Registration Due: Friday, September 24, 12 pm
Art Intake: Saturday, September 25, 12-6 pm & Sunday, September 26, 12-6 pm
Juror’s Talk: Monday, September 27, 7 pm, Exhibit Hall
Professional Development Workshop: Tuesday, September 28, 5:30-8:30 pm, Exhibit Hall
Opening Day: Friday, October 1, 12-7 pm
On View: October 1 – October 28, 2021
Painting – Drawing – Ceramics – Original Prints – Sculpture – Mixed Media – Photography – Fiber – Jewelry
Fairbanks Arts Association invites artists from Interior Alaska to submit their artwork for consideration in this year’s fall juried exhibition. In its 35th year, the 64th Parallel Exhibition showcases work by artists from Interior Alaska creating in a variety of media. Fairbanks Arts is pleased to invite a guest juror from outside of Alaska to select from the artwork submitted to 64th Parallel. This year’s juror is someone Interior Alaskan artists may be familiar with: Jenny Day!
To have artwork considered for this exhibition, artists must complete the online registration form before Friday, September 24 at 12 pm. All artists who have completed the form are then invited to drop off their artwork in the Bear Gallery Saturday, September 25 or Sunday, September 26 from 12 to 6 pm. Jenny Day will then jury the artwork on Monday, September 27. Pick up for artwork not selected for the exhibition will be on Tuesday, September 28 and Wednesday, September 29 from noon to 6 pm in the gallery. Artwork selected for the exhibition will be on view from October 1 through 28 from noon to 6 pm, with an opening day on Friday, October 1 from noon to 7 pm.
Juror’s Choice – $125
2nd Place – $100
3rd Place – $75
Jared Baker “Gutsy Art Award” – $75
About the Juror – Jenny Day:
Jenny Day (b.1981) is a painter and sculptor who lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She earned an MFA in Painting from the University of Arizona, a BFA in Painting from the University of Alaska, Fairbanks and a BA in Environmental Studies from the University of California, Santa Cruz. Her exhibition record most recently includes Arte Laguna in Venice, Italy, Czong Institute for Contemporary Art in Korea, Museum of Art Fort Collins, Mesa Arts Museum, Phoenix Art Museum, Blue Star Contemporary Museum in San Antonio, TX, and Elmhurst Museum in Chicago, IL.
Day’s work has been supported by an Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant, a Puffin Foundation Grant, a Contemporary Forum Artist Grant from the Phoenix Art Museum, a Barron Purchase Award and through participation at Greenwich House Pottery, the Ucross Foundation, the Jentel Foundation, and the Playa Foundation For The Arts, among others. Jenny Day is represented by Jonathan Ferrara Gallery in New Orleans, Louisiana, and William Havu Gallery in Denver, Colorado.
To learn more about Jenny Day, visit her website at jennyday.com.
- Entries are limited to four (4) and must be submitted by the artist.
- Entries must be paid in full at the time of submission.
- Only artists residing in the Interior of Alaska, Doyon Region, may enter works.
- Original artwork only. Work must reflect the artist’s unique creative effort.
- No kits. No copies or replicas of other original artwork or published artwork. (No copies of any published images or copyrighted characters, e.g. Disney).
- Work must have been completed within the last two years and not previously exhibited in the Bear Gallery.
- Selected entries must remain on view through 6pm on Friday, October 29, 2021.
- Artwork should be photographed or digitally copied before being entered. If artwork sells before getting photographed or copied, FAA will no longer release the work to the artist, it will go to the new owner or buyer.
- Entries will be handled with the greatest possible care and are insured against damage or loss for the duration of the exhibit. FAA is not responsible for minor wear resulting from normal handling.
- FAA retains a 35% commission on all exhibit sales. Works will be for sale unless noted as NFS (not for sale). Artist payments will be made within 30 days after an exhibit’s closure.
- Works will be considered FAA property if left in the care of FAA for more than 45 days after the determined pickup day, Saturday, October 30, 2021. During this period, three attempts will also be made to contact the artist (phone and email); if no communication is established during these attempts, artwork is automatically considered abandoned and becomes FAA property without further notice.
- Submitting an entry constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to all conditions in this prospectus.
- Entries must be ready for display, matted and framed.
- Works to be hung on the wall must have wire hangers. NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS.
- Unusual hanging mechanisms must be approved by Fairbanks Arts Association.
- Large quilts must have 2 inches of Velcro stitched along the entire top. NO VELCRO, NO ACCEPTANCE.
- Submissions that are polyptych need to be priced as one piece.
Fairbanks Arts programs are made possible by individual and corporate contributions, the City of Fairbanks Hotel/Motel Bed Tax, Fairbanks North Star Borough, Alaska State Council on the Arts, and Mt. McKinley Bank.
Special thanks to Sophie Station Suites for their support of the 64th Parallel Juried Exhibition!