FAA suggests reading the 2013-14 FACE Handbook to become familiar with the AIS progam to see if it is a right fit for you. In order to become an eligible artist for the Artist-in-Schools program, the following criteria must be met:
- Artist must complete a Teaching Artist Training series. These sessions are currently offered once each fall and spring. Please know that all sessions must be attended in order to receive certification.
- Artist must submit all application materials.
- Artist must schedule interview with the FAA education coordinator.
Fairbanks Teaching Artist Training Sessions will be held:
1. Saturday, Sept. 6, 10 AM- 3:30 PM, Curriculum Library, 4th Floor FNSBSD Admin. Ctr. (520 5th Ave.)
2. Sunday, Sept. 7, 10 AM- 3:30 PM, Bear Gallery (3rd floor of Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts, Pioneer Park, 2300 Airport Rd.)
Lunch to be provided on both days
*Participants must attend both sessions to receive completion certificate
What is the Teaching Artists Training Academy?
* Professional development for area artists to qualify for Alaska State Teaching Artist status. This will be a lively and informative series of hands-on presentations by expert teachers and administrators who will share knowledge, skills and techniques. A certificate will be awarded on completion of the course to equip you to work effectively in Fairbanks classrooms and beyond.
*Advice on how to negotiate contracts, market yourself and how to join the Alaska State Teaching Artist Roster (AK STAR) of the Alaska State Council on the Arts.
*Dialogue and community building among local artists and educators about teaching in and through the arts.
Topics to be discussed will include: Application process, importance of residencies, Alaska State standards, FNSBSD Arts, developmental levels, differentiated learning, classroom management strategies, collaboration for successful residencies, and the business of being a teaching artist.
Would you like to register for the Fall ’14 training sessions or receive information about future training dates?
You could be an Artist in the Schools beginning the 2014-15 academic year!
Questions? Please email email@example.com